My sister-in-law is getting married, and we get to go to Israel next week to go to the wedding! According to my Israeli husband, money is a more common gift than presents, but I couldn’t not make her something. So, inspired by their wedding invitation, I am making a mini quilt for them. I scanned the invitation and my sister used her spiffy (technical term) software and cutting thingie (2nd technical term) to cut out patterns for me. I then used those to trace on the paper backing of fusible web I’d ironed to fabric to make different silhouettes. Lots and lots of cutting around little corners came next.
I quilted a background of squares from different white and ivory fabrics and ironed on the silhouettes and was so close to being done! Just embroidering their names in English and Hebrew and the binding to do.
Which is when I realized that I am an idiot. An idiot who should not be trusted with an iron. See, the thing about Hebrew is that it reads from right to left, unlike English. Which means that when I laid out the figures in a left to right pattern, as I read the invitation, I had the events out of order. The figures rushing to each other were representing the first meeting, which had to go before the falling in love. i tried to pry them up, but I’d done my ironing too well and it ripped the figures and left blue shadows and glue on the background.
At this point, there was much swearing and stomping of feet and gnashing of teeth and then more swearing. The redone and almost done wedding mini-quilt When I calmed down and became resigned, I performed an emergency amputation of the top half. I sewed on new batting, cut out new squares, sewed the new squares to the bottom half that I hadn’t wrecked, re-quilted, re-traced, re-cut, and after REALLY CAREFUL examination, re-ironed.
I’m now back where I was an hour and a half ago, with just the embroidery and binding to go. Whew!