My mom wanted a simple duvet cover, which should have been the kind of thing that can be whipped up in an hour. But, because it is us, it took two days.
First the two hours at Fabric Depot, because she isn’t good with decisions. Normally I’d make this by sewing two sheets together, but she wanted more choices. After we touched every bolt of cotton in the place and debated nearly every color in the rainbow, we settled on a pretty neutrally floral print, “Jardin de Provence” from Windham Fabrics.
Since 42″ fabric doesn’t make a queen size cover, we decided to put black accent stripes in as well where I added in fabric on the sides, which gave me a chance to try French seams for the first time. I’d been reading about them and it seemed like a good way to keep the seams tidy on something that will go in the wash fairly frequently. But the stripes and the special seams added a lot of sewing of long straight lines, never one of my specialties! Luckily I’d gotten a lot of practice on the king size quilting earlier in the week.
I also added top stitching around the edges to keep everything square when the fluffy comforter is inside, and then decided to make ties rather than snaps for the closure since my cover’s snaps just don’t stay fastened. Lots of turning tubes right side out.
The finished cover stretched over my bed, without the comforter inside:
There was extra fabric, so I made new edges on a couple of white pillowcases. I followed this tutorial: pillow trim directions. Having the narrow black edge made it really easy to top stitch down the border.
I changed the directions just slightly during the second pillowcase. It was easier to get the size of the border just right by sewing it on first and then making the side seam to match where the side seam was on the pre-made pillowcase.
I foresee lots and lots of pillowcase making in the future!