I am finally getting back into the groove with my spinning, after two years of almost completely abandoning it. And none too soon – I’ve 27 pounds of fiber in various locations about the house, according to the fiber spreadsheet I opened up again at long last.
Yarn is being created!
This green yarn, with two plies from Polwarth and silk, totaled around 12 oz. and 450 yards of worsted weight yarn. Not my most even, but part of my efforts to relearn spinning thicker singles.
I had some green left on one bobbin so I spun up two singles of a blue and dark teal mohair/Cormo blend and barber poked the three plies together for another worsted skein – 156 yards for this one.
Over the last few days I worked on a heathery blue merino top from Ashland Bay, in the colorway “Tidewater.” I plyed it last night and it is currently hanging to dry in the showing. 8 oz, but I haven’t calculated the yardage yet. Another of my attempt to spin less thinly, so likely around 300-350 yards. The pictures are horrible – it is definitely blue yarn!
Today I wanted to clear some bobbins with remnants from previous spins on them. This bobbin started out as a three ply – purple merino, the last of the navy/teal mohair/Cormo, and the last of the green Polwarth/silk. The purple single was much finer than the other two, giving the three ply some spiral texture. When the blue ran out, I continued on with a two ply in purple and green, and when the green ended I chain plied the very thin purple until it finally ran out too. Chaining is another skill I need to rebuild. The ply snapped a couple times and I didn’t do well at rejoining the ends.
I think I’m going to go luxury fiber next. I have some merino-yak-silk that I bought this weekend that I’m really excited to get started on.
And I definitely need to post about my weekend soon. I met my fibery friends in Tacoma, WA, for the Madrona fiber festival. So much fiber joy!