Several sewing sessions this weekend yielded 20 finished blocks.
Lots of sizing up and corner clipping. I mixed sewing randomly and trying to make sure that the same fabrics didn’t end up directly next to each other. Generally successful, but a few times I slipped up as the number of fabrics grew along with the blocks.
I had fairly good luck keeping all the points, so I’m showing some improvement there, but my scant 1/4″ seam is a little too narrow so I’ve a new goal to work on.
And then there is watching which way I attach the pieces:
The finished blocks are 12 1/2″. I still have a lot of squares left, so either these blocks are going to get bigger, or the sashing is going to be fancy.
There are a lot of yellow squares that haven’t been touched yet.
The original directions specified squares of three values: dark to medium fabrics, medium to light, and very light. The background could be very dark or white. I went with the white, since I was already using blacks in the pattern and didn’t want to lose the difference, but now the pale grays/tans I used for the light colors don’t seem much different than the white background. It works in these blocks, but I may have to make adjustments coming up if the two are ever going to touch.
While I sewed, my visiting sister worked on the octopus that we started months ago. She is in charge of getting the button suckers sewn on so I can quilt it.
There is a ways to go, but she’s promised to add at least six buttons a day.