My children claim that staring too long at this quilt makes their eyes burn, but my boys are prone to hyperbole.
I like the overly bright and busy look of it, though I do agree that the eyes occasionally might need a break, so the back is calmer.
So many little 2 1/2″ squares went into this quilt! When I look at them I see so many of my earlier quilts represented in the scraps.
I free-motion quilted loops all over the background, trying to get in close between each point of the stars but leaving them unquilted so they’d be more prominent. Some of my loops are rather wobbly, but I just remind myself that perfection isn’t a requirement, improvement is.
I figured with a quilt this bright there was no point being subtle with the quilting, so I used a rainbow thread for the top, though I stuck to cream for the backing. (The photo makes it look Christmasy, but what looks green was really blue.)
I had some trouble with the stitches, with long skips that were driving me crazy and causing a lot of picking out. I had to keep marking them with pins to come back to later. Eventually I realized it was a needle problem, not just my rusty free-motion skills. I changed the needle and it stopped happening. You can see one of the long unsecured threads in the picture below. I don’t understand why a dull needle leads to skips, but I’m glad that the fix is easy.
There are several ways to machine bind a quilt. My preferred method is to sew the binding to the back, iron it flat and then fold it over and iron it down again, securing it for sewing with wonder clips. (I am so on the wonder clip bandwagon – so much less pain than when I used straight pins and stuck myself all the time!)
I like this way because I can do a better job of catching the binding if I can see the edge I’m sewing down rather than trying to catch it on the back while stitching in the ditch on the front. It does show more on the front, and it leaves a sewn line a little out from the binding edge on the back, but I don’t mind either of those. In the two pictures below you can see the binding going under the walking foot and what it looks like as it comes out the other side.
On the back it looks like this:
This is a photo of the crinkly version out of the dryer – you can see the straight line of the stitching that results from top stitching the binding on the front. I need to work on getting the stitching closer to the edge – I’ve been using the side of my presser foot as my sewing guide, but it makes the binding a little wider on the front than in the back. Having the two more even would move the stitching closer to the edge of the binding on the back. Really though, it blends to be pretty unnoticeable.
The finished twin sized quilt out of the dryer:
The puffy spots on the back where the unquilted stars are stand out the most in the blue section. (The color in the photo above is more accurate.)
I think I need to make another one, only with a low volume background and dark colors for the stars next time. There are certainly a lot of scraps left in my bins.
This is the second quilt finished in the last couple weeks. My goal is two more finished before the end of the year. That would mean all my finished tops were completed quilts, making a big dent in the WIP pile.