Happy New Year, everyone!
I felt a rare organization urge this morning and decided to tackle the yarn stash.
I dragged yarn bundles, baskets and bins from all corners and with the help of my boys piled it in the living room.
This is the before picture.
I sorted by type and weight, created a bin for lace weight, one for fingering, a big bag for bulky, and so on. One big bin is now filled with remnants to go in the slip stitch afghans I make, and another is for thinner yarn remnants for similar scarves or weaving. Sweater lots were put together, and all the full skeins of handspun went into a zipper bag.
I did try to cull. There is a fair amount headed for Goodwill:
One woven basket of yarn showed some signs of moths, so I threw out a lot there and put some in the freezer. And no more woven baskets for storage. I was also able to get rid of the big white plastic bins from the before photo, which frees up some floor space in the little craft room.
Here is the after picture:
Still a ridiculous amount of yarn, and there may be more pruning, but it is more organized and took up less space when I put it all back.
I also pulled out all the yarn I spun in 2016 for its own photoshoot.
In 2016 I spun 6 lbs of fiber into these skeins. That leaves 26 lbs. more to be spun. My 2017 goal is to get at least another 6 lbs. spun and to get and keep the fiber stash below 20 lbs.
The fiber is next up to be pulled out and sorted, but not today.