I completed the last paper pieced block for my younger son’s Ocean quilt today. It is a fairly simple double angelfish block from Silver Linings.
I added a little more fabric to the top and bottom to elongate the block. I went ahead and added some more of the sand fabric to the crab block from earlier to make it bigger as well.
This isn’t a great picture – the lower section isn’t as dark as it looks. I couldn’t get far enough away to squeeze it all into the picture without screwing up the lighting.
I’ve rearranged the blocks yet again since this picture to put all the beach blocks in the top row. And there will likely be more adjustments as I pull it all together.
As you can see, I’ve started to add some of the sashing fabric – the plan is to have dark sashing at the bottom for the deep sea, medium blues in the middle and light blues at the top for the shallows. But this is going to mean a trip to the fabric store as I don’t have enough of the medium or light batiks.
Luckily spring break just started for me, so there will be lots of time for fabric stores and quilting projects! My sewing goal for the week is to get this quilt top fully put together and get one of the pinned sandwiches in my WIP pile to a fully finished quilt.