Nearly a year ago we moved to a new house, a decision that made my commute to work much shorter, but my sewing space a lot more cramped. Instead of a small dedicated room, I have the end of the family room for my crafting space. At least it is the end with the window!
Storage is the main issue. If I need a lot of work space, I can take over the dining room table, but that doesn’t work for storing fabric, yarn, fiber, and all the millions of doohickeys and whatsits that I accumulate. So things are scattered in various parts of the house, and too many of the smaller items build up in the work space and get in the way.
In an effort to improve the situation, I made box shelves.
It took a number of days. Once I got the right wood (5″ wide hemlock boards) I went to L2’s house to get a refresher course on using a table saw. I have a small, portable one – like most of my larger tools, it is the result of a visit by my brother. He sees home improvements that can be made, always resulting in me owning tools that I may never use again. (I have two jigsaws now, because I forgot I had the first one when he swung through town and needed one to work on a kitchen project for me.)
Then L2 taught me that there are corner clamps. I’m a fan! And we used her air compressor (though my brother had me get one of those too) to shoot very fine nails into the secured corners to create the boxes.
Out of two eight foot boards I got three boxes and a 4 inch left-over. Once I was home again from my power tools seminar, I did the finishing work. I needed to fill in a few spots – the wood putty was a bit dried out, but it worked OK – and sand. Stain I had on hand, and I bought a small sample size of limeade colored paint for the inside.
They aren’t perfect. I need to remember next time to put the nails on the tops and bottoms, not on the sides where they are going to show more. I taped the edges when I was painting, but they still aren’t perfect, so I’ll need to go buy a razor blade to clean that up. And I haven’t yet tried the keyhole fasteners for the back that I intend to use to hang them. (Mostly because I can’t figure out where I put them.) But the shelves match the picture I had in my head, so I’m happy with them.
I need to make one more, for symmetry, as they are going to hang in pairs on either side of the window, making space for button jars, thread spools, and other items that accumulate on top of the cutting and ironing surfaces.