Finally on summer vacation! And then I made the mistake of watering all the new plants in the garden, and a sudden rain storm blew in. My fault – I should have know better than to temp the rain gods like that.
But it made for a lot of available sewing time. I’m back at work on the Growing Up Odd quilt, chain stitching the little squares and building the different sized blocks.
I’ve finished the 7×3 and 7×7 blocks, 16 of each, and I have 34 of the 48 3×3 blocks done.
I tried hard to not duplicate fabrics in the same blocks. That was easy in the nine patches, but harder when it was a 49 square block, sewn together randomly in chunks. There is usually at least one repeat.
Sashing next. I’m planning to quilt it in strips to make it more manageable, though the actual quilting will have to wait until I get my Juki back from the shop. My smaller Brother machine is great for regular sewing, but it doesn’t like too much bulk under the needle.
I also finished up my ribbed scarf knit with a variety of coned yarns. I’m trying to clear up space in the craft storage. It is entirely 1×1 ribbing, so it made a great work project I could pick up during lunch or faculty meetings. No pattern or thought needed.
While I was knitting it the yarns were thin and almost cotton like – coned yarns still have oil on them as they were meant to be used on machines – but once it was done and hand washed in hot, soapy waters, and then dried on the hammock, the yarn softened and bloomed. Definitely a cold weather accessory, so it will be put away for awhile.