The magic snowflake blocks apparently had a delay in their effects this time, because we rode out the rest of the week with just one late start. The ground did eventually get a little white on Tuesday, but not a really impressive snowfall in the low lands. However, that changed Friday night.
While nothing compared to what Seattle got, this is a pretty good snowfall for southwestern Washington. And more is supposed to be on the way, though I don’t think it’s going to be the snowpocalypse students were hoping for on Friday when we left school with weather warnings ringing out on the intercom.
And of course it is perfect sewing weather! I don’t think I’m going to risk pushing the weather gods any further with the snowflakes this weekend. Instead I’m working to finish off my framed strips wall hanging.
I started by outlining all the shapes and stitching in the ditch between all the strips on the bottom border.
My plan was to use matchstick quilting for the background. Everything I’ve read says don’t change direction with straight line quilting to avoid puckering and waves, but quilting around shapes in the middle of the lines’ paths meant not being able to just sew off the edge. That leaves a lot of thread ends.
When I make wall hangings, I often don’t put the backing on until I’ve done most of the top stitching. It means I don’t have to tie knot after knot after knot to bury the ends after pulling them through. I can just leave the ends loose on the back. That speeds things up a bit. And they stick to the batting or get sewn over with the next lines so they stay put.
Still, there were a lot of ends to pull through!
I started the matchstick quilting in the smaller background areas. I figured that would give me practice, and also I could just change directions and go back-and-forth because it was such a small area it wouldn’t make waves.
It’s very time and thread consuming! After I finish those two small areas, I decided that I wanted to vary the texture, so I kept the lines in the rest of the background half inches apart. I marked lines two inches apart, then the one inch lines in the middle of those, and then I was able to eyeball all the rest of the lines without marking to get the half-inch spaced lines in there.
It is now fully quilted, the backing is on, and it’s been trimmed square. Just the binding to put around the edge now and it will ready for the wall.
While I sewed, my son spent some time doing his own type of craft.