I haven’t started a quilt top for awhile – or done much else with fabric – so it was time to get going on one. I landed on this tutorial from the Bee in My Bonnet blog.
I used a lot of my darker scraps on my Growing Up Odd quilt, so for this one I sorted out low volume fabric for the background and dig out some blue solids to scatter in.
This is what the block is supposed to look like.
After I made the first block though, I realized that I’d have to do a lot of planning if I wanted each X to be from one blue rather than mixed. I went back and forth on whether I cared, tried a different arrangement, finally decided I did care, and dismantled the completed block.
So now the plan is to make the X blocks separately from the 16 patches and assemble it from there.