In my new high school we don’t have assigned classrooms. We divvy up the rooms depending on the activities and how much space we need. This means we keep everything back in the team office and cart what we need to the rooms and then clear it all back out again at the end of the classes.
It has proved a little challenging for me. I am constantly running back for a white board eraser or a set of papers or my textbook copy. Sometimes I remember everything but it takes a couple trips to get it all there.
So today I made a small tote with lots of internal pockets that will be my classroom kit. There are slots for markers, pens and pencils, scissors, laptop charger, my phone and some as yet unidentified extras. It is wide enough for file folders and deep enough for the textbook. Nothing will be left behind!
I quilted the outside and then fused interfacing to the lining to add even more structure. The pockets are tubes that I divided into various widths when I attached it to the lining.
Turning it inside out through the lining opening is my favorite part. It is like the big reveal on the HGTV shows.
The handles are canvas that I folded and then folded again so it is four thicknesses. When I did the edge top stitching my smaller machine had some trouble going through all that canvas, the interfacing, and the quilted material. I had to rip it out because the bobbin thread acted up and got all loopy. I switched to my heavier Juki machine and it all smoothed out. That thing can punch through anything I put it to!
I haven’t loaded it up yet, but I think it is going to be just the right size and save me a lot of running back and forth.