Operation Comfort

Two years ago we bought a little tent trailer. It is perfect for our weekend camping trips in state parks. Last year though, with the shutdown, we didn’t get to use it at all. So this year, we got the camping bug early and went last weekend.

We had a great time. Even the teenagers, who are always reluctant to leave their electronics, seemed to have some fun. Fire always helps with that.

Our youngest dog has never been around people or other dogs much as we got her just a couple months before the first lockdown – she rather resented other people sharing the campground, but she loved the woods. Theo, our anxiety ridden other dog, actually thrives on camping and loves walking in the woods.

But . . . this shakedown trip to remind ourselves how to camp did highlight a few flaws in our set up. An 8 foot trailer base means there is almost no storage. Even on a weekend trip, we are people of stuff. So much stuff.

I bought stacking drawer units the first year, which handle all the dishes and pots and much of the food, but the clothes and shoes are everywhere.

The other issue is the beds. The mattresses are just thin foam, which we stuff camping pads under, but it doesn’t cut it for me. I’m not young and flexible anymore. I need real padding!

So, when we got home, Operation Comfort began. I researched, and read pop-up trailer discussion boards, and poured thru Pinterest, and made some decisions.

First, I ordered some foam floor mats from Costco. Those came today and we immediately started cutting them and putting them in place.

That should add insulation from cold underneath and get us off the boards.

Next I did the tissue box test, where you put an empty tissue box in the trailer and close it up and then measure how much it is crushed to know how much space there is between the mattress and ceiling – that tells you how much height you can add to the mattress. I was able to order a dense three inch thick bed foam that we can add under the original mattresses. The two changes are going to make a huge difference to our sleeping!

A lot more measuring and figuring and it turns out I can fit also another couple of storage drawers in when the trailer is closed, so I can go higher with our drawer stacks.

I also did some sewing this week, since we were off for spring break. I bought this pattern to make hanging bags.

It was very clearly written and simple to sew. (Just don’t look too closely at my top stitching – not one of my strengths.) I made the large size, with a modified loop with Velcro. I used a sheet and a curtain, both Goodwill fabric finds. It was a decent size – enough space for my pajamas and wool socks. But I needed more room if we are going to do away with the duffles. So I had the pattern pieces blown up 150% at a copy place. I used a Goodwill tablecloth the second time, flattened out the bottom a bit to make it wide but not too long, added a second tab, and it was just right!


And we hung them in the trailer today while working on the beds, and they are going to work just as I envisioned.

So now I need to make lots more. . . At least four for each end.

And I have ideas for hanging shoe storage that will fit on the sides of the stacking drawers. Some more mulling needed there, but I think there are possibilities.

Published by

Johnna

Hello from Washington. I am a knitter, spinner, and quilter who is constantly looking for the next fiber hobby to add.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s