It has been a long, dry spinless spell, but I finally got back to my wheel this week.
Actual yarn was produced!
532 yards total of 2-ply fingering to DK weight.
This is not particularly well spun yarn. I was working with somewhat matted fiber, and I struggled to remember how to spin consistently, so the single plys were not very even. And then I switched up plying methods in midskein, so the beginning and the end of the skein look a bit different. I thought about running it through the wheel again, but I’d already soaked it, and by the time it was dry two days later, I’d moved on. It isn’t different enough to bother me when I knit with it.
You can see the difference in how tightly the yarn winds on the bobbin in the picture below. The first bobbin was using double drive and went on quite loosely – the second used Scotch tension, which lets me increase the pull of the yarn onto the bobbin, so it wraps on more tightly and more yarn fits on the bobbin. Both bobbins have approximately the same yardage. Now I need to get to the Baby Bear stage. I’ve got too loosely wound but tightly plyed (bobbin #1) and tightly wound but under plyed (bobbin #2). I want tightly wound and tightly plyed.
I love the color – it is polwarth wool and silk that I kettle dyed in a deep blue. There was a lot of fiber in the pot so it dyed a little unevenly, and the silk and wool took up different amounts of dye. It creates a heather effect.
Now I’ve started in on this black mystery wool and yellow/peach silk noil fiber. I need to figure out the right treadle speed and take-up, as its pig-tailing a lot, a sign that I’m feeding it on to the bobbin too quickly or that I’m putting in too much spin.
I’ll get the hang of this spinning thing again.