I was on a sewing roll this weekend, and after finishing the red and white quilt, I moved on to the next WIP. This throw sized quilt is the second of the donation quilts that my sister and son and I cut out a while back. It was pinned into its quilt sandwich at the same time as its sibling, but somehow the first was quilted, bound and sent off, but the second sat in a box and never happened.
Compared to the Christmas quilt, this one was a quick and easy breeze to finish. I did horizontal lines, used the edging I cut off to make the binding, and after barely two hours, it was done. It leaves me slightly embarassed it took so long.
Presenting version eight of Dress no. 2.
I can’t seem to stop making these tunics.
This one is flannel. The weather is getting older, but I will be ready!
A sleeve line up of all the tunics so far:
More tunic fabric arrived in the mail, and was quickly attacked with pins and scissors. I think that this makes numbers 6 & 7 from the pattern for Dress no. 2. You can see some of the others here and here.
I made a few different adjustments this time. As usual, I shortened the pattern to tunic length and left off the patch pockets. I also tried out a v-neck instead of the scoop, and narrowed the back a bit to replace the darts that I’d added to the others. For the butterfly version, I added a tie in the back. So, you know, totally different than the last five. 🙂
There was one major screw-up. I cut both front and back at the same time, and I forgot to remove the back piece when I cut the v-neck out on the butterfly version, making a v-neckline in the back as well as the front. I mulled adding a contrast color insert to fill it back in, as you can see in the pic below, but ended up just getting another length of the fabric to recut with a higher neckline.
My work wardrobe continues to expand, filling up with these oh-so-comfortable and colorful tunics. They don’t look terribly flattering on the hanger, but I like the length and the roominess and it is fun finding the next fabric to use.
The fabric for #8 is on deck – plaid flannel next, for the cooler weather coming in.
I got the neck facing and hemming done on my third tunic made with the Dress No. 2 pattern and have already worn it to work at the library, where I ran around making everyone admire the book checkout card fabric. We all agreed that finding such a specific fabric was a sign – though a sign of what is still a little iffy. Maybe that it is OK that I’m going to keep making the same pattern over and over?
I made all the same modifications, but I think I didn’t take it in quite enough with the tucks – it feels roomier than the other two, to an excess. Easily solved with a few minutes at the sewing machine.
I did get another pattern in the mail this week, so there may be some variation in the clothes sewing in the near future.
Another tunic-to-be, so not a huge change, but a slightly more complex pattern.
Although I still have two more Dress No. 2s already in the works that just need the finishing details, so I’m not moving on yet.
The nine patch sewing continues, assembly line style.
A very quick sewing project during a spare moment. I’ve been wanting some cloth napkins, so I found a couple of blue fabrics and sewed four two-sided napkins.
It is a quilting cotton, so not the heaviest, but doubling it up gives it a nice weight. They were cut at 18″ square, which let me get four squares from each yard of fabric with a bit left over.
It was about the quickest project possible. Just a matter of sewing around the edges, turning them right side out, and then top stitching to keep the hems flat and close the hole.
I’ve already picked out some more fabrics to make more.
Update – 3/29 – Here is the next batch, folded to show the two fabric choices.