My room decor is mainly black and white. Last year I got a duvet cover but I’ve never been that fond of it. It was a budget choice rather than what I really wanted. This is the cover we’ve been using. Nothing wrong with it, but I don’t love it, and it is a little more floral than my husband would prefer.
Now that I am gainfully employed, I decided to sew one that I would like better. I waited until one of the fairly regular Fabric Depot sales happened and got this stack of black and white fabrics:
I ended up deleting the mini polka dots from the project, but all the others made it in.
This was my original design plan (I lost the pencil half way thru somewhere in the piles of fabric in the craft room. I have entirely too many projects going on right now!) –
Not the most formal of designs, but the general idea was one long strip of the main fabric – the circles -with different width blocks of the other fabrics on either side.
But when I got the three main center strips sewed together, I didn’t like it. The center one fabric strip just looked weird and the whole thing didn’t balance. I neglected to take a picture of it, so you’ll have to take my word for it.
I went back to the cutting table and slashed and sliced and added new columns and halved others. I like the results much better than the original plan. I’d started out with French seams to prevent it from getting ragged in the wash – it made for a lot of extra sewing once I added in all the extra pieces!
In this pic you can see the five fabrics I used. Two are batiks and three are regular prints.
The backing fabric is still in the mail – I ordered a gray and white wide backing fabric – so it won’t get finished today, but it is already an improvement on the former cover.