I am so pleased with how this commissioned quilt turned out! Front, back, and squared off free motion quilting – I love every part of the final results. The teal and black contrast is great, and I continued the teal in the binding so it plays off the black there as well. This quilt is headed into a dorm – it is going to be a very cheerful bed topper.
Spent some lime time this morning crawling on the floor to pin baste this quilt top. My least favorite part of the quilt making process, mostly because it hurts my knees. I also don’t have a great spot for it. The upstairs floors are all hardwood and I don’t want to scratch them up. Downstairs is mostly carpeted except for the area between the stairs and the laundry room. So that is my default spot, but it limits the size of quilt I can make to twin. I need to figure something out for the long term, but for now this is working OK.
And now it is done and I get to do the quilting part which is much more fun.
I finished the last column of coins today, going way overboard and ending with a column two feet longer than I needed. I zoned out and just kept sewing strip after strip!
Next came laying them out to make sure that the same fabrics weren’t directly next to each other.
Then adding the black sashing and a quilt top is done!
I got a commission through my Etsy store this week and have gotten started piecing the top. It is a coin quilt, a great way to use a lot of colorful fabrics. I pulled from my scrap bin as well as the more organized fat quarters and large scraps to make the stacks of strips.
My customer had seen this quilt in the shop and wants one like it but with black sashing.
So I have been cutting varying widths of strips and sewing them into stacks for the past couple days. If I was using width of fabric strips, or even whole fat quarters I could do this more quickly because I could cut more than one stack from the sewn together strips. But then I wouldn’t have either the variety of fabrics or the mix – the column stacks would all be in the same order. So I went with the slower but more mixed multitude method.
After sewing them together, I press and then trim them to the right width. Long tails that get cut off are added back into the pile for the next column.I have four of the columns done and will sew the fifth tonight and it will be ready for the sashing. The back and the quilting will have to wait a couple weeks because we leave for our family vacation in Israel on Thursday!