My spring splurge arrived in the mail today from Craftsy – it included a big box of mystery fat quarters.
I puled led out an assortment, plus one fat quarter from the Kaffe Fassett order that came along too.
I was inspired by this quilt on Pinterest and immediately began cutting. Here are the 10 1/2 inch squares on point and waiting for their smaller companion squares. I also need to pick a sashing color.
We have definitely entered the rainy season around here, and won’t likely leave it for more than a day or two for some time to come. Which makes me reach for the brighter projects to work on.
This baby blanket top has been hanging around a few weeks. I cut the triangles from fat quarters I got from a Craftsy sale. I bought the 50 fat quarter box of Free Spirit prints. This is my second time buying this box. I was a little disappointed this time. The fabric prints are great, but I wasn’t expecting to get two of each. So instead of 50 different prints, I got 25. Not as helpful in adding to my scrappy quilt options as I’d hoped. The first time I ordered the box there were 50 different prints, so I guess it can go either way.
But I do like the fabrics choices I did get, and used 12 of them in this little quilt, adding in some coordinating solids. I echo quilted the seams on either side so the triangle pattern shows up on the back too.
The quilt back has a scrappy stripe with leftovers and a soft yellow polka dot. Perfect colors to offset the dreary day outside!
Usually I hand sew the binding to the back after it is attached, but because baby quilts tend to get washed a lot more often, I machine sewed it this time so it is extra security and can hold up to the machine turbulence. And the sunny gold continued the warmer days theme.
This one is going into my Etsy shop as soon as I can get some decent finished shots. (And after it’s first trip through the washing machine.) I just need a brief break in the rain!
I was going to say that it has been a productive day, but that would imply actually completing tasks from the to-do list, or even packing for the weekend away that starts in a about an hour. So instead I’ll say it was an activity filled day.
Started off right with two 60% off coupons that let me buy a new cutting mat and a smaller square ruler to make things go more smoothly with planned projects. Such a deal with the discounts!
Then I went online and bought this pattern for a lover’s knot block (though the designer calls it a carpenter’s square) to make into a mini quilt for our bedroom wall. Our room is black and white overall, with a little yellow and tan thrown in, and I want to make a few minis to cover a blank wall by the closet.
This block requires a lot of precision, in both cutting and sewing.
Neither of those are my strongest skills, but working on this should help.
I’m adding extra rows to make it a little bigger. The dramatic contrast is great, but if I do it again (and I plan to) I will put a color square in the very center. Yellow, perhaps.
This is also giving me practice with my new Juki sewing machine. I’m crazy about the auto cut feature, but I keep forgetting I can use the foot pedal to use it. And the leg lever to lift the foot makes things so much faster. I can’t imagine I’ll ever get to use the rabbit speed though. Medium seems like I’m racing beyond my fingers as it is.