A finish for Mom

I devoted Saturday to finishing the quilting on my Mom’s birthday star.

Star wall hanging - Jardin de ProvenceI started with parallel quilting around outside and inside of the outer star.  Then I did the same on the inner star.  
image

I added an extra point in the corners, and then used more tape to quilt outlines of those and the side angles.

Mom's star

I love the star design on the back, though it doesn’t show up that well in the photo below – not a lot of light today.  The backing is a Goodwill sheet purchase.

Mom's star - back

Here are other details of the quilting:Mom's star quilting detail

Mom's star - center detailMom's star - quilting detailIt came out of the dryer all crinkled, which is one of my favorite parts of a finished quilt.  Mom may want it flatter since it is designed for a wall, but that is easily taken care of with a little ironing.

Mom's star - Jardin de Provence

For Mom’s birthday

I made this duvet cover for my mom a while back:

Jardin de Provence duvet cover

She picked out the fabric, and it looked great in her room (I don’t have a picture of it there, unfortunately) so I ordered a fat quarter of the whole fabric line – Jardin de Provence – to surprise her with a wall hanging to go above the bed.

I chose to follow the Star Light, Star Bright pattern directions found here on the Moda Bake Shop website.

I didn’t have quite the right ruler, but some painters tape took care of that.  My triangles were 7 1/4″ high, making the diamonds 14 1/2″.

45 degree triangle

Cutting 45 degree diamonds

The only pattern issue I had was with the measurements of the diamonds.  The directions told which 45 degree triangle ruler she used, but didn’t make it clear the exact size of the diamonds.  Since I don’t have that ruler, I had to guess a bit based on the width of the fold that she suggested.  I obviously didn’t guess quite right because the squares that I cut for the corners ended up an inch too small, so I had to search out more white and cut new, bigger squares.  Avoidable if the diamond measurements had been given!

Jardin de Provence diamonds

I sewed the pieces together in a slightly different order than the pattern called for.  After doing the 8 diamond wedges, I added in the Y seam triangles before sewing more sections together.  It probably didn’t make a difference, but I figured I’d be manuevering less fabric volume that way.

Jardin de Provence diamonds

Jardin de Privence Y seams

If you look closely at these three in progress pictures, you’ll see that some of the diamonds moved around.  I didn’t always get the right edges sewn together, or notice in time to fix it.  So much for my careful arranging when I started!

Jardin de Provence corner Y seams

I didn’t do a perfect job on all the Y seams. But they are pretty good, and I’m quite proud of my center points.

Jardin de Provence center points

Four hours from start to finish – my handy assistants helped me get the final picture, despite the wind and can’t-set-down-the-popsicle obstacles.

Mom's Jardin de Provence star

Mom's Jardin de Provence star

Tomorrow I hope to start quilting, but I probably won’t get it quite finished by her birthday on Thursday.  But it will be far enough for her to see what it will be, and Mom isn’t picking about things like exact dates.

Making things for Mom

My mom wanted a simple duvet cover, which should have been the kind of thing that can be whipped up in an hour.  But, because it is us, it took two days.

First the two hours at Fabric Depot, because she isn’t good with decisions.  Normally I’d make this by sewing two sheets together, but she wanted more choices.  After we touched every bolt of cotton in the place and debated nearly every color in the rainbow, we settled on a pretty neutrally floral print, “Jardin de Provence” from Windham Fabrics.

Jardin de Provence fabricSince 42″ fabric doesn’t make a queen size cover, we decided to put black accent stripes in as well where I added in fabric on the sides, which gave me a chance to try French seams for the first time.  I’d been reading about them and it seemed like a good way to keep the seams tidy on something that will go in the wash fairly frequently. But the stripes and the special seams added a lot of sewing of long straight lines, never one of my specialties!  Luckily I’d gotten a lot of practice on the king size quilting earlier in the week.

I also added top stitching around the edges to keep everything square when the fluffy comforter is inside, and then decided to make ties rather than snaps for the closure since my cover’s snaps just don’t stay fastened. Lots of turning tubes right side out.

The finished cover stretched over my bed, without the comforter inside:

Jardin de Provence duvet cover

There was extra fabric, so I made new edges on a couple of white pillowcases.  I followed this tutorial: pillow trim directions.  Having the narrow black edge made it really easy to top stitch down the border.

Making a pillow case border

Making a pillowcase border

I changed the directions just slightly during the second pillowcase.  It was easier to get the size of the border just right by sewing it on first and then making the side seam to match where the side seam was on the pre-made pillowcase.

Finished pillowcases

I foresee lots and lots of pillowcase making in the future!