Colorful geese

I just finished my colorful flying geese quilt and I love it!

Here it is, quilted but not trimmed and bound, with a kid added to show the size.

Flying geese quilted

And the back, after trimming – I really love how the back turned out.

Flying geese back

I spent sometime trying to find a triangle free motion pattern, but in the end I went with much faster wavy lines that cross cross each other.  I decided it looked like the wind lines that the geese coast on while flying south.  It made it even better that flocks of geese did fly overhead while I was quilting it!

Flying geese quilting detailThe binding is a yellow/green fabric I had in my stash, with bits of leftover Quill fabric inserted here and there.

Flying geese bindingFlying geese binding

It is now draped on the couch and ready to snuggle under.  It adds some color for the gray days ahead.

Finished flying geese

Just enough

I pieced together a back for the flying geese quilt this morning.  With pretty much all the leftover quill fabric and bits and pieces of the shot cottons, I was able to jigsaw a big enough cloth together.

Flying geese backin

A few seams, some trimming, and it extends about two inches bigger than the top all the way around, which is plenty.

Flying geese backing

This is all I have left of the fabric pile I started with.  Just scraps left of all the Valori Wells Quill fabric and the shot cottons.  I have just under a yard left of the Kaffe Fassett pink and orange dots, less than a fat quarter of the purple dots.  I will likely search out more of those as I love to have them to add to scrappy projects.

Flying geese scraps

I haven’t figured out how I want to do the quilting yet.  So I have some pondering over that and the binding yet to do.  But I am so pleased with this quilt!

Flying along

My flying geese quilt top is progressing despite the heat driving me out of the sewing room fairly early in the day.  I’ve gone from this:

Flying geese started

To this:

Flying geese in progress

And ended up up today with this:

Flying geese in progress

I changed up the fabric after cutting far too many squares of the other prints.  The colors were right, but the patterns didn’t go well together – I was combining Valerie Wells’ Quill fabrics with Kaffe Fassett dots and whatever the millefiori spots are called.  I kept the dots, got rid of the millefiori, dug out more Quill prints, and added in a couple of other fat quarter prints I had on hand that blended better.  I also ordered a few more half yards of Quill prints and I’ll go by Fabric Depot tomorrow and pick them up.  I was especially happy because they were on clearance!

I’ll have some rearranging to do to mix up directions and colors when I finish all the blocks, but so far it is looking just like I envisioned it.  And I’m getting a lot of practice at cutting and sewing to preserve the geese points.  There is drastic improvement since the first blocks went together.