A mini finish

With the kids back to school today, I got a little sewing done. The Lover’s Knot block is up on the wall. I think It needs friends, however. More minis to be made.

Lessons learned: I need to continue to work on precision in seam allowances, and when cutting strips for this block, cut how many background strips I think I’ll need and then double that amount!

I quilted around the black lines with white, and then machine stitched the binding. When I’m not going to hand sew the binding on, I sew the binding to the front first, and then stitch in the ditch at the front binding edge, capturing the back edge of the binding. It looks better on the front that way, but if I don’t sew the binding on precisely in the beginning, I can sometimes not catch all of the edge when I go around the second time with the ditch stitching. I need to get better at judging the seam allowance I use when originally attaching the binding to give me enough to work with on the back.

I only machine finish bindings on wall hangings so far, because the back isn’t ever going to show, so I can work to improve without too much consequence. All my blanket bindings I hand sew.

Black and white

I was going to say that it has been a productive day, but that would imply actually completing tasks from the to-do list, or even packing for the weekend away that starts in a about an hour. So instead I’ll say it was an activity filled day.

Started off right with two 60% off coupons that let me buy a new cutting mat and a smaller square ruler to make things go more smoothly with planned projects. Such a deal with the discounts!

Then I went online and bought this pattern for a lover’s knot block (though the designer calls it a carpenter’s square) to make into a mini quilt for our bedroom wall. Our room is black and white overall, with a little yellow and tan thrown in, and I want to make a few minis to cover a blank wall by the closet.

This block requires a lot of precision, in both cutting and sewing.

Neither of those are my strongest skills, but working on this should help.

I’m adding extra rows to make it a little bigger. The dramatic contrast is great, but if I do it again (and I plan to) I will put a color square in the very center. Yellow, perhaps.

This is also giving me practice with my new Juki sewing machine. I’m crazy about the auto cut feature, but I keep forgetting I can use the foot pedal to use it. And the leg lever to lift the foot makes things so much faster. I can’t imagine I’ll ever get to use the rabbit speed though. Medium seems like I’m racing beyond my fingers as it is.