Slow progress

6E8BEEEB-D83C-475F-BCA7-7279D2FEB486

In random moments, I’ve been working on the king size bed quilt made from a fraction of the multitude of 2 1/2″ squares I have in my scrap bins.  The pattern is called Growing Up Odd.

It is moving slowly for a couple reasons.  One is that I ran out of the sashing fabric.  By the time I eventually replenished that, I was working on other projects and it got pushed further back in the queue.

But the second, probably stronger reason, is that I can’t quite decide how I want to proceed with this.

I really don’t want to wrestle an entire king size quilt through the harp of my sewing machine, or deal with moving the the bulk of it around for free motion quilting.  I could probably manage the whole thing at once with plain straight line quilting, but I’ve been envisioning squared off loops.  And I’m far too cheap/broke to pay for professional quilting.

I have been vaguely planning to quilt it in strips, but I haven’t really figured out how to then attach them to each other and deal with the backing.

So I keep working on other projects instead, where I really know what I am doing.

But now it is finally approaching the stage where the top is done – I have just a small amount of the sashing strips to still add.  So I’m going to have to start researching various ways to quilt in stages and how to put the pieces together.  I know the right method is out there, I just have to find it and figure it out.

Snow day, the sequel

0CD63713-1DD1-4F05-B432-B76236037A8E

We got another inch or two of snow over night, which combined with all the hills and the lack of equipment for snow means another snow day today for my district.

I am prepared!

F566B7A2-48EF-4E36-8AB5-8F3D11AF8035

The best part is that the kids’ district didn’t close, just has a late start.  So I’m going to get a few hours in the house all to myself!

During yesterday’s work reprieve I dug out a box with my youngest son’s quilt-in-progress that hasn’t seen the light of day in many, many months.  The pointed comments about chilly weather, upcoming birthdays, parental neglect, and brothers who already have quilts finally got to me.  Who knew a 10 year old could be so naggy?

When last seen, the Ocean quilt was in the process of having borders added to all the creature blocks. That was April of last year! So yesterday I finished that up.

86B8B2CB-6729-4B41-A191-4E73CE32E360

I still have no design wall, but a bare floor area in the living room is working for now.

The idea my son and I worked out is that the blue stashing gets lighter as the quilt goes from creatures in the depths of the ocean to those on the sand.

F966F87F-E235-4C8F-AD73-FE7168B03293

Adding the sashing is easy enough, like the world’s thickest log cabin rounds.  (I love the fabric being added in the bottle picture above, because I think it looks like sea anemones.)

49027A67-4BEC-4579-820B-48461D823AD2

Some of the blocks still had the paper backing on them, so that gave me some Olympics TV time as I removed all of that.

At long last (I started this quilt in January, 2015) this project has reached the ready-to-quilt stage.  A big, sarcastic Finally! from my son is still ringing in my ears.

9A56E27E-BC71-4E5D-A951-89F947BC31DB

I am intimidated by the idea of doing detailed quilting on the creatures while wrestling all the bulk of a big quilt, so I’m going to try quilting them in smaller blocks and then attaching the blocks and putting on the backing.  It will definitely be more maneuverable under my sewing machine harp.  My current plan is to quilt just the creatures, and then, after assembling it, put the background quilting in so that the backing is quilted also. Fingers are crossed.

If I lose courage, I can always go work on the snow fort.

A0B721B8-7C93-4FBE-B8AF-BB0ADBE29498

 

 

Sashing in a heat wave

92 degree weather is not optimal sewing weather.  It isn’t quite that hot in the sewing room, but the steam heat from the iron doesn’t help.  So I’m moving slowly and not making a lot of progress.

Scrap-in-a-Box final clue

I’m at the sashing stage of the Scrap-in-a-Box mystery quilt, which isn’t a mystery anymore as the last clue has been revealed after a delay for a very sad event.

I chose a dark blue leafy fabric for my sashing, with more scraps for the corner stones.  I’ve a stack of essays to grade, so I’ve been alternating.  Some essays, some sashing, then back to the essays.  But I’ll need to stop both soon as it is almost time to go cheer my sister’s derby team.

Sashing

I’ve only gotten about 1/3 of the sashing added, but it is enough to know I’m going to like the final results.  Not a quiet quilt though!

Sashing