I’ve owned the same solid wood dresser for decades now, and it’s held up amazingly well. It’s sturdy, holds a lot, and doesn’t dominate the room. However it’s pretty boring – just basic brown everything, from drawer knobs to body – and lately I’ve been eyeing it and wondering how I could spiff it up. I thought about replacing the drawer pulls, but I need 16 of them and anything that’s very unique ends up costing quite a bit.
Pinterest to the rescue! I saw some dressers where the body was painted but the drawer fronts were left stained, and I decided that was just perfect for our room. We have a black and white duvet cover and ombre gray curtains, so I decided to paint the body of the dresser black.
My sister came over to help me, which basically meant motivating me to actually do it. I got a small can of cabinet paint from the hardware store and we used the orbital sander to get off the wax finish that I used when I originally stained it 20 some years ago.
After two coats of paint, I let it sit for a couple of days and then put on the topcoat of the same polyurethane I used on my family room tables. Unfortunately I didn’t think about the effect of doing that on a day when it was 88° and the top of the dresser dried too quickly and the polyurethane didn’t completely level out. I’m going to have to get some very fine sandpaper and smooth it and then put on one final coat. The sides and the front were all fine and don’t need to be redone. I think the combination of the heat and maybe putting it on a little too thickly was the problem on top.
While we were at the hardware store buying the paint, we wandered by a barn door kit that was the perfect solution to my sister’s bathroom door issue. The door swung into the small master bathroom in her house, and took up so much room. She was constantly having to maneuver around it.
The box was an all in one kit with everything that she needed, so after we finished painting the dresser, it was her turn. My husband and I went over and three of us got the door up and working in just an hour or so, if you don’t count the time that it took to drive back to our house to get the ratchet set that we forgot to bring the first time.
We are both really happy with the changes to our rooms. It feels good to actually get something crossed off the to-do list. All this Covid time has made me fairly apathetic, and I feel like I’m wasting a lot of my days watching the world go by from my couch. So this was satisfying.
Although all that sitting on the couch left a lot of time to watch past seasons of the Great British Bake Off. Which inspired my husband to make these: